Skip to main content

The end; and a new beginning




          Before I chew your mind: This blog post is in response to my friend Harish’s vlog. He had done a “user request vlog” once, and I had suggested a topic- ‘How did you start doing something’(links at the end). I also promised him that I’d write a blog post on that subject if he ever did that video. He did make that video (he makes some pretty cool game play videos as well, worth checking it out if you are a gamer), and that’s why you find yourself reading this right now.
            I think I had an idea of what I would write about when I gave him the topic. However, for the love of God (or Batman) I can’t seem to remember what that was. I’m making it up with this one, hope it’s ok bro :)

FADE IN:
Superimpose “THE END” on black background

FADE OUT TO BLACK:
<insert new title>
          This is where I (along with a bunch of other confused mortal souls my age) have reached. A point where one movie seems to end and another begins- a double feature if you may.
With no bathroom break.
This is when most people have an incessant urge to pee, but they can’t go out because the doors are sealed, and there is no coming back once you go out. Or so they make you believe. Whatever the reason, you sit through, with the final title card telling you that cigarettes and alcohol are injurious to health. And before you know it, the show has begun.
          “Hey macha! What do you wanna do next?”
          Some people at least have a vague answer to this question. A one line summary of how they picture their future -
          “Job”
          “Higher studies”
“Job for a couple of years, higher studies, better job”
“Marriage, and then do, teen chote chote bachhe” (BTW, this came from a guy)

And me?
          I just look at the other person and blink until he walks away awkwardly. I am still as unsure as I was back in high school. Or PU. Or the first time I flunked an exam. Fuck, I was way sure about what I wanted to do back when I was five! (ok, I stole this from facebook)
Other than that nagging voice at the back of my head that keeps reminding me how fucked I am if I don’t find a “regular job” (I already have a job, or four. None of them hold the “regular” tag ), everything else looks pretty neat. Except my handwriting. That’s hideous. That’s REALLY hideous.
I don’t get it how one is expected to find a stable job once he/she is done with (conventional) education. If you’re born and brought up in an over protecting, under exposed, environment that is almost exclusively available in India, then you probably have no idea how fucked up the world is. I don’t know either, but I know that it’s pretty screwed up.
And then you turn 21- 22. This is where everything changes. Suddenly you are expected to miraculously “know” what you want to do for the rest of your life. Bitch please! I don’t even know what I did in college for four years.
“Pick this! It’ll give you a great future..”
Are you sure this is I want to do this for the next 40 – 45 years?
“Who doesn’t? Fat salary, reputed company, cute colleagues…”
(rose thogoLi..
 beDa…
 paravagilla thogoLi…
 please beDa…)
Will I be happy doing this for eight hours every day? For the rest of my “productive” life?
“You’re missing the point my boy… Happiness is a completely different animal. You have to seek it out. Some people find happiness in simple things like a small drink after a day’s job, in making love to his new wife, in the innocence of his child. Like I said, simple things in life. Anyway, you’re too young to be thinking about those things just yet…”
You just missed the fucking point! Dick head.
A lot of people associate their ideal jobs with huge bank balance, retirement at 40, work hard today for a better tomorrow, you know the type. Hell, you could be one of those types for all you know!
Me?
I just wanna do something I wouldn’t hate or regret. Something I wouldn’t mind doing if that was the last thing I ever did. How many of you wouldn’t mind dying on the job? not a lot of hands in the air eh?
I know a lot of people who hate doing what they do. There may be a shit load of reasons as to why they ever resort to doing it in the first place, but that doesn’t justify why they are into things they hate (read engineering). They have no passion towards engineering or science and technology. A lot of them are from my class. Topper included.
I could probably count up to eight people (that I know of) who are into engineering because they’re interested in it. They’re also in to it for the money (hey, we can’t all be saints right), but they also have a natural interest towards innovation and engineering. The rest? They would’ve been just as happy rearing pigs if it provided the same job security as engineering.
Do whatever the fuck that makes you happy
You can’t really adopt this “motto” when you’re middle aged, chained by the corporate world, with a family to provide for. Except, that is probably when you want to do it.
I don’t think I ever worked really hard to get marks. If  someone ever plots a graph of my grades since school, you’ll find that it goes all over the place. I’ve been part of the crème de la crème (aka topper-ish) and I’ve been labeled a profound idiot. Multiple times. Never really gave much thought to it, unless my mom started singing about how I’m throwing away my brilliance. I’d sulk, and then get back to my ground state I a couple of days. Never really thought high about education. I studied things I found interesting- ever since I started thinking for myself. Never regretted bad grades. Never gave a fuck about it. End of story.  


Comments

  1. (rose thogoLi..
    beDa…
    paravagilla thogoLi…
    please beDa…)
    LMAO!!
    Well the profound idiot seems to be on the right track! JEALOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "profound idiot"? Wait, did you think that was me?!
    Naanavanalla! Naanavanalla! Although, this was inspired by a real incident that involved one of my friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah I assumed it was you. But even if it is not, whoever it was inspired by, I've always envied such profound idiots! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rock you like a hurricane- Meaning and analysis (WARNING! NSFW, NSFSP)

NOTE: I had written this about a week ago, but didn't post it because I didn't think it was something that would appeal to teh general public. I still don't think it does that but I am suffering from an acute case of  "IDontGiveAFuckitis" so here it is. I don't give a fuck what you think about this, but if you are going to run to my mom and complain about what I do online just because it doesn't go down well with you it just makes you an immature and incompetent pussy. Seriously, this is the internet, get a life. The time is 2247 as I am writing this. A little sleep deprived, and a whole lot of self hatred and shame swimming about my aurashitpiss. I have a ton of writing work that needs my immediate attention, but I chose to do this. Arrogance? Dipshitness is more like it. Moving on... So I was listening to Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions earlier this evening, while I was doing the dishes (yeah, i'm cool that way). I mean i wasn't even

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the

Birthday Ride 2020 : The Journey

Travel has never been my forte. Especially on a motorcycle. I’d been on sub-100 km rides on my little 110cc steed back when I was young and stupid. Almost every one of them to my grandmother’s place 40 km away from home. The machine was underpowered, the seat was uncomfortable, and my hands and feet would ring like a tuning fork at the end of every ride. Not a very pleasant experience. Neither have birthdays been big. A few unsavoury experiences that coincided with my birthday have made me believe that my birthday is jinxed, leaving me with a bad aftertaste at the mere thought of it. I’ve always taken both travel and birthdays with a grain of salt – unless prodded and pleaded by my friends, I try not to engage in either. So, this year, I decided to ride to Hampi for my birthday. The Journey Hampi has always been on my mind for quite a while now. Memories of the boulders and ruins kept coming back to me like flashes from a past life. I’d been to Hampi on a family trip long ago –