Skip to main content

Men can cook: The perfect boiled egg (even if you are drunk as fuck)

Eggs are like non-veg potatoes. Extremely versatile. There are literally hundreds of ways to cook an egg, and you can never go wrong. Unless you want a boiled egg.

Fucking boiled eggs. 

It took me years, literally YEARS, to learn how to make good boiled eggs. It has one ingredient. The fucking egg. Cooked in water. That is all there is to it. And I have spent hours on end trying to cook it right. Peeling the egg is a pain in the ass. Uncooked egg is a pain in the ass. Wordsworth should have written a poem on peeling badly cooked boiled eggs. The pain, the agony, the depressing frustration of having wasted a perfectly good egg. 

Lets take a step back and learn what makes a good boiled egg- 

1. It should be cooked through. The egg whites have to be cooked to soft, silky consistency. The yolk can range from runny yellow liquid awesomeness to soft yellow mushy awesomeness.

2. The shell should peel right. Without the end product looking like the leftovers of a rats meal.

Until very recently, I believed that the ability to cook good boiled eggs was the pinnacle of culinary expertise. Not any more. It's fucking simple, and here's how it's done.

Ingredients- 

Eggs

Method-

1. Add eggs to boiling water.

2. Wait 10- 14 minutes. (Soft boiled- hard boiled)

That is all there is to it. That's it. Boiling water is the key ingredient here. I have seen a lot of bullshit passing off as "tips" to peel the egg right- 

Add fucking table salt. 

Add fucking baking soda. 

Add fucking oil. 

Fuck all that. Add eggs to boiling water. Keep the heat at high. The whites will cook quickly and won't stick to the shell. Science, bitch!

Special instructions for the kitchen virgins-

1. Add eggs using a sambhar sout. Don't use your fucking hands or a spoon. The water is boiling and you will drop the egg into the pan, cracking the egg and you'll panic because you don't know any better.

1.1. If the egg does crack, don't panic. The water will rise precariously, threatening to boil over. This is normal. It doesn't look normal, but it is. Reduce the heat a little bit- NOT ALL THE WAY DOWN- just enough to prevent the water from spilling over. Grab a spoon and skim off the undercooked whites floating in the water. Bring the heat back up. Never turn the heat down to a simmer. 

2. Remove eggs from the boiling water using a sambar sout. Place them on a plate, or dunk them in cold water. Wait for a couple of minutes before peeling them. 

If you don't know how to peel an egg, then your parents have failed at parenting. Go ask them for a refund. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock you like a hurricane- Meaning and analysis (WARNING! NSFW, NSFSP)

NOTE: I had written this about a week ago, but didn't post it because I didn't think it was something that would appeal to teh general public. I still don't think it does that but I am suffering from an acute case of  "IDontGiveAFuckitis" so here it is. I don't give a fuck what you think about this, but if you are going to run to my mom and complain about what I do online just because it doesn't go down well with you it just makes you an immature and incompetent pussy. Seriously, this is the internet, get a life. The time is 2247 as I am writing this. A little sleep deprived, and a whole lot of self hatred and shame swimming about my aurashitpiss. I have a ton of writing work that needs my immediate attention, but I chose to do this. Arrogance? Dipshitness is more like it. Moving on... So I was listening to Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions earlier this evening, while I was doing the dishes (yeah, i'm cool that way). I mean i wasn't even

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the

The end; and a new beginning

          Before I chew your mind : This blog post is in response to my friend Harish’s vlog . He had done a “user request vlog” once, and I had suggested a topic- ‘ How did you start doing something ’(links at the end). I also promised him that I’d write a blog post on that subject if he ever did that video. He did make that video (he makes some pretty cool game play videos as well, worth checking it out if you are a gamer), and that’s why you find yourself reading this right now.             I think I had an idea of what I would write about when I gave him the topic. However, for the love of God (or Batman) I can’t seem to remember what that was. I’m making it up with this one, hope it’s ok bro :) FADE IN: Superimpose “THE END” on black background FADE OUT TO BLACK: <insert new title>           This is where I (along with a bunch of other confused mortal souls my age) have reached. A point where one movie seems to end and another begins- a double featur