Skip to main content

Keli Katheya Kannada Audio Book Makes a Difference In Athani




The journey to brighten the lives of girl students began in 2014, but that would be too far back, so let's just start from last weekend. 


7 of us left from Majestic on Sunday evening and after a shaky ride, arrive at Athani in the morning. The good folks from Aviratha who travelled with us landed in an IB and we set up shop at a friend-of-a-friend’s place. Mr. Udaya Kumar Gunda was a great host and his family welcomed us warmly into their house and their dining tables. After quickly washing off the soreness of travel and a fantastic breakfast at their house, we headed towards JA College auditorium, where we were to felicitate the beneficiaries of the proceedings from Keli Katheya - the Kannada audio book. The 16 girl students who has scored 125/125 in Kannada at their SSLC exams were yet to arrive and we got to work setting up the auditorium. 


The college staff were very accommodating and went out of their way to ensure that our event was successful. From helping us change the venue to a spacious hall, to securing a nice blue screen to cover the bare walls of the stage to making the seating arrangements, they were of immense help. 


We kicked off the event with the 16 students and their parents assembled in the large hall and the dignitaries on stage. The luminaries on stage took to the mike and spoke passionately about the future of the children, our responsibilities towards enriching the Kannada language and more. 


It was heartening to watch each of the 16 students walk up to the stage with pride in their eyes as they received their cash prize, a certificate of appreciation and a set of Kannada books. Some of them spoke with gusto about their achievement and the role of their parents and teachers in their success. 


Post the event, we had a casual chat with the girls, who spoke candidly about their ambition. Most of their career goals were driven by their desire to bring a positive change in the world. They want to be doctors, nurses, DCs and some want to join the police force. 


We were pleasantly surprised to see how aware they were of their surroundings and the societal constructs that imposes a limitation on their achievements. They were bright eyes young girls who sought to shatter the glass ceiling and discredit the naysayers by achieving their dreams. And we are very sure that they will achieve their goals. 


At the end of the day, we left Athani with beautiful memories, a sense of achievement and feeling proud of how an audio book of Kannada short stories can help a few girl students add fuel to their dreams. 


From aiding 9 girls in 2014 to 16 girls in 2021, we have come a long way. We hope this trend balloons exponentially in the coming years. We thank the writers who generously gave us the rights to their stories, we thank the actors who lent their voice to a noble cause and we thank you! None of this would be possible without your incredible support. Thank you for being part of Keli Katheya.


Get the book here https://kelikatheya.com/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock you like a hurricane- Meaning and analysis (WARNING! NSFW, NSFSP)

NOTE: I had written this about a week ago, but didn't post it because I didn't think it was something that would appeal to teh general public. I still don't think it does that but I am suffering from an acute case of  "IDontGiveAFuckitis" so here it is. I don't give a fuck what you think about this, but if you are going to run to my mom and complain about what I do online just because it doesn't go down well with you it just makes you an immature and incompetent pussy. Seriously, this is the internet, get a life. The time is 2247 as I am writing this. A little sleep deprived, and a whole lot of self hatred and shame swimming about my aurashitpiss. I have a ton of writing work that needs my immediate attention, but I chose to do this. Arrogance? Dipshitness is more like it. Moving on... So I was listening to Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions earlier this evening, while I was doing the dishes (yeah, i'm cool that way). I mean i wasn't even

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the

Birthday Ride 2020 : The Journey

Travel has never been my forte. Especially on a motorcycle. I’d been on sub-100 km rides on my little 110cc steed back when I was young and stupid. Almost every one of them to my grandmother’s place 40 km away from home. The machine was underpowered, the seat was uncomfortable, and my hands and feet would ring like a tuning fork at the end of every ride. Not a very pleasant experience. Neither have birthdays been big. A few unsavoury experiences that coincided with my birthday have made me believe that my birthday is jinxed, leaving me with a bad aftertaste at the mere thought of it. I’ve always taken both travel and birthdays with a grain of salt – unless prodded and pleaded by my friends, I try not to engage in either. So, this year, I decided to ride to Hampi for my birthday. The Journey Hampi has always been on my mind for quite a while now. Memories of the boulders and ruins kept coming back to me like flashes from a past life. I’d been to Hampi on a family trip long ago –