Skip to main content

Foreign films and my sister

Research shows that 97.32% of all siblings fight/ have fought/ have had thoughts of killing each other in their sleep. The remaining 2.68% are usually fictional and- or are 'ideal people', like i said, fictional. eg- Pandavas, Dasharatha's sons, Hansle and Gretle, Shivanna and Radhika (Mrs. Kumaraswami, not Pandit!) etc.

Some say siblings have a love- hate relationship, my mother would disagree. My sister and I only have a hate- hate- gimme that, it's mine relationship. My mother used to stay awake all night keeping an eye on us. Not because she loved us so much, God no, she just wanted to make sure we don't strangle each other in our sleep. In fact my mother once tried to seperate us so that we wouldn't mortaly harm each other, and so that she could finally get some sleep.

She set up an elaborate plan which involved a huge circus tent and some kickass protechnics. Alas, we all survived the big fire "accident", and our family was reunited twelve minutes after the chaos. The social worker who reunited us died a mysterious death days after that incident though...

Of all the reasons we fought for, none can surpass the "war for the control of the tv remote". Those battles were the worst. I won't go into the details. The siblings know all about it, and it's too gortesque for the single fellows.

Research also shows that siblings have a lower rate of obesity compared to single children. This is because of the intense physical activity the siblings go through as kids. This is actually true! You should see me and my sister, we look so thin that our mother force feeds us and makes us wear padded clothing to make us look fatter than we are.

True story.

My sister and I could never agree on what to watch. She wouldn't let me watch cartoons and i wouldn't let her watch... Er... Um... What's her favourite tv shows again?

But, the only thing that united us in the act of watching tv, peacefuly that is, is foreign films. With us being Indians (she being part satan), even Hollywood movies are also technically foreign films for us. But i'm talking about French and Iranian movies.

My mother still says a silent prayer to Majid Majidi every night. For it was his movie 'Children of Heaven' that brought some peace into the war like atmosphere at home.

I vaguely remember watching an Italian version of Pinnochio with her. Again, no name calling or hair pulling or death threats. Oh, and we bunked our tution to watch that at home :D

Then came Amelie.

That just opened up a whole new world for me. My access to foreign films were limited. They would air english dubbed movies on some of the english movie channels, other than that i got my fix on WM for sometime.

And all this happened BEFORE i turned fourteen.

It would take me another eight years before i became 'seriously' interested in cinema. But then i only had to pick up where i left off. Now excuse me while i go thank my satan, i mean Sister. That's what i meant, sister...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock you like a hurricane- Meaning and analysis (WARNING! NSFW, NSFSP)

NOTE: I had written this about a week ago, but didn't post it because I didn't think it was something that would appeal to teh general public. I still don't think it does that but I am suffering from an acute case of  "IDontGiveAFuckitis" so here it is. I don't give a fuck what you think about this, but if you are going to run to my mom and complain about what I do online just because it doesn't go down well with you it just makes you an immature and incompetent pussy. Seriously, this is the internet, get a life. The time is 2247 as I am writing this. A little sleep deprived, and a whole lot of self hatred and shame swimming about my aurashitpiss. I have a ton of writing work that needs my immediate attention, but I chose to do this. Arrogance? Dipshitness is more like it. Moving on... So I was listening to Rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions earlier this evening, while I was doing the dishes (yeah, i'm cool that way). I mean i wasn't even

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the

The end; and a new beginning

          Before I chew your mind : This blog post is in response to my friend Harish’s vlog . He had done a “user request vlog” once, and I had suggested a topic- ‘ How did you start doing something ’(links at the end). I also promised him that I’d write a blog post on that subject if he ever did that video. He did make that video (he makes some pretty cool game play videos as well, worth checking it out if you are a gamer), and that’s why you find yourself reading this right now.             I think I had an idea of what I would write about when I gave him the topic. However, for the love of God (or Batman) I can’t seem to remember what that was. I’m making it up with this one, hope it’s ok bro :) FADE IN: Superimpose “THE END” on black background FADE OUT TO BLACK: <insert new title>           This is where I (along with a bunch of other confused mortal souls my age) have reached. A point where one movie seems to end and another begins- a double featur