Skip to main content

Dineshan Writes: The cinema business of politics



Dear esteemed editor of #tv69,

I am very disappointed in your lack of coverage about the latest development in politico-cine scenario in the south of the Vindhyas. It was an extremely shameful moment for me when my wife, who watches nothing but serials in the afternoons and cinema news in the evening, told me about Rajinikanth joining the politics.

You see, I am not a big fan of Rajinikanth. His eccentricity doesn’t sit well with me. Especially since my wife made me quit cigarettes 30 years ago, but still watches Rajinikanth light up his cigarettes in “style” with her mouth wide open.

I like Kamal Hassan. Nice fellow, very handsome and clean shaven like me. But even he is also planning to join politics it seems. Very disheartening.

On further research with the assistance of Google, I came to know that even Pawan Kalyan, and Upendra are also entering politics!
These days all actors seem to want to do everything but acting. It reminded me of my grand uncle, one Mr. Swaminathan, B.A, L.L.B, M.B.B.S., where one of his dead patient’s family put a case on him in court stating gross negligence on his part. This clever fellow decided to fight the case himself and lost royally, and spent nice time in jail.

Just because that part time actor Trump became the President of the United States of America, these people have also begun to believe that they can also do the same. I think this is all because we have a bad habit of remaking everything from the west. Remake their movies. Remake their style. Remake their songs. Now remake their politics.

With that note, wishing a wider expansion of your esteemed news network,

Your well-wisher,

Dineshan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonny Jonny

            “Jonny! JONNY!” bellowed Jonathan Smith Sr., banging on the apartment door.             “Goddamnit Jonny, open the fucking door!” he banged on the door again, the green flakes on the faded door reverberating. “I know you’re in there.”             Jonathan heard his son scuffling inside, hastily making way towards the door. He could hear his son, Jonathan “Jonny” Smith Jr. clumsily fiddling with the latches on the other side of the door, cursing under his breath every time he fumbled. Jonathan flung the door open, almost knocking over Jonny, and barged right in.             “What took you so long?” Jonathan said, and went straight to the only bedroom in the apartment, not waiting for an answer.          ...

10-ish reasons to love a commuter bike (or why your Pulsar is good, but my Passion is better)

Last week alone I saw two articles about the coveted Royal Enfield Bullet (for the uninitiated, it's the bike that goes dug-dug-dug-dug). So, being the nosey parker that I am, and being a proud owner of a bike in the segment myself, I searched the interwebs for a similar article about the simple commuter bike. Sadly I didn't find a single one of that sort. I never wanted to write this blogpost in the first place, but it seems like the universe has conspired to result in this. Cunning universe. So here are 10-ish reasons to love a commuter bike- 1.   They are cheap AF:  You can saddle up on a 100 cc for under 70k INR. With papers. Accessories included. Not only does it cost less, but it's really wallet friendly when it comes to maintenance as well. These bikes are manufactured with the average middle class commuter in mind. By that I mean, for the ones who have a strong mindset of "don't fix it if it's not broken". The bike will work fine even if you...

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the...