Skip to main content

I've started sleeping for six hours... again

24 September 2016


The last time I had done this was way back when I was freelancing- two years ago. Surprisingly, I am most active with six hour sleep cycles. I am more alert throughout the day and I'll have less distractions. But the only downside is that I crash hard at bed time. I don't mid this much, because I'll have to strictly structure my day within the eighteen hour block I get. This gives me a better control over what i do with my waking hours, so less wasting time and more productivity.

Back then however, I used to put the extra two hours of wakefulness to use by exercising and reading. Something that I strictly believe helped me immensely with productivity, concentration et al. I'm doing neither of those now. It's been only a couple of weeks since I've reduced my sleep hours, and I'm slowly slipping into a lethargic, zombie like state.

My body's adjusted itself to the new sleep timings. My mind however, is still catching up, rather erratically. The cold days haven't helped much either. Like today, I woke up at my usual time. But I did't feel like doing much, so I slumped back into bed, tossing and turning for near two hours. My eyes burned every time I blinked. It felt like the insides of my eye lids were made of sandpaper. It was weird.


I can easily switch between being a night owl and a morning worm. I have about a two week buffer to get adjusted to the change, but once that time's up I am usually good to go. However, I have found that waking up early leads to work -writing, mostly- and late nights are usually spent watching a movie/ reading. Any writing I do at night is very different from what I do in the wee hours of the morning. I used to follow a 3am- 9am routine back then, and I currently stick to a 11pm - 5am deal now.

Late night writings were more honest, less inhibited. Early morning ones are more refined, they have a better structure and sound less like incoherent ramblings. I am still unsure of which one I prefer. Or maybe I've just grown/ changed as a writer.


This blog/ journal entry sounded way cooler in my head when I was coming up with it on my bike ride home. This has been quite fun. I may do this on the regular, or I may not. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonny Jonny

            “Jonny! JONNY!” bellowed Jonathan Smith Sr., banging on the apartment door.             “Goddamnit Jonny, open the fucking door!” he banged on the door again, the green flakes on the faded door reverberating. “I know you’re in there.”             Jonathan heard his son scuffling inside, hastily making way towards the door. He could hear his son, Jonathan “Jonny” Smith Jr. clumsily fiddling with the latches on the other side of the door, cursing under his breath every time he fumbled. Jonathan flung the door open, almost knocking over Jonny, and barged right in.             “What took you so long?” Jonathan said, and went straight to the only bedroom in the apartment, not waiting for an answer.          ...

10-ish reasons to love a commuter bike (or why your Pulsar is good, but my Passion is better)

Last week alone I saw two articles about the coveted Royal Enfield Bullet (for the uninitiated, it's the bike that goes dug-dug-dug-dug). So, being the nosey parker that I am, and being a proud owner of a bike in the segment myself, I searched the interwebs for a similar article about the simple commuter bike. Sadly I didn't find a single one of that sort. I never wanted to write this blogpost in the first place, but it seems like the universe has conspired to result in this. Cunning universe. So here are 10-ish reasons to love a commuter bike- 1.   They are cheap AF:  You can saddle up on a 100 cc for under 70k INR. With papers. Accessories included. Not only does it cost less, but it's really wallet friendly when it comes to maintenance as well. These bikes are manufactured with the average middle class commuter in mind. By that I mean, for the ones who have a strong mindset of "don't fix it if it's not broken". The bike will work fine even if you...

Clubhouse. CoWin. China.

If you feel an odd sense of deja vu while reading this piece, then you've spent too much time switching between Facebook and Clubhouse. Unless you've been living underground or in a home with ACT broadband, you know what Clubhouse is - it is where many people can have their Mann ki Baat at once. And Facebook has turned into a platform to critique, analyse and make fun of discussions that happen on Clubouse. Congrats Clubhouse, you just replaced the Indian Government, at least as far as Facebook discourses go. Clubhouse is more or less an impulsive, live podcast session - an open space where everyone is made to feel like Joe Rogan. But no one talks about DMT or shaved gorillas or MMA or shaved gorillas doing MMA while on DMT. But it always does sound like everyone is on something stronger than the devil's lettuce. Maybe you need that to hear your own thoughts over the din of uncomprehensive ramblings and mouth-breathing noises. Speaking of noises, Saudi Arabia restricted the...